Monday, May 10, 2010

Vicks VapoRub

My poor husband is sick :(

It started on Thursday, when Steven began coughing like crazy during our intramural soccer game. By Saturday morning he couldn't breathe, couldn't swallow because his throat hurt so bad, and had a cough that sounded a lot like pneumonia. We tried chicken noodle soup, cough drops, and all sorts of medicine, but nothing seemed to help.

Finally, after watching him suffer for way too long, I remembered a commercial I had seen on TV probably 5 years ago. This commercial featured a very sick man, all congested and cough-y and sad (who, now that I thought about it, was JUST like my husband) in his pajamas. The poor sick man rubbed some Vicks vapor rub on his chest and instantaneously perked up, as all of his symptoms magically disappeared. I knew instantaneously that this miracle cream (which is actually more of a sticky ointment) was exactly what my husband needed, so I ran to Walmart to buy some. (And congratulated myself on my resourcefulness when I found out that I was going to cure my husband with only $3.33!)

When I got home, I extolled the virtues of Vicks vapor rub to my husband, and explained how he would instantly feel refreshed and unsick after using this product. He, rather suspicious of my rather bold (and completely unfounded) claims, asked if I had used it before. I hadn't. He asked if I knew anyone who had used it before. I hadn't. "But the commercial!" I persuaded. He wasn't particularly convinced, so I begged him to try it. After all, I really wanted him to get better. Plus it would be REALLY interesting to see if it worked. But mostly I wanted him to get better, because I'm a really nice,unselfish wife like that, right? Right?

But Steven refused to budge. He said that a) it probably wouldn't work and b) it was sticky. Out of desperation, I decided that I would demonstrate the power of Vicks myself, even though I wasn't sick. So I rubbed some on my chest and throat. And, I must admit, it was kind of sticky and gross. But suddenly I felt so... alive! I wasn't feeling sick before, but now I could breathe so much better, my senses felt so enhanced! If only I could always feel this good!

Can you say placebo effect?

Upon seeing my excited reaction, Steven decided to give the Vicks a try. But, somehow, he didn't have the same life changing experience. I asked him how he felt and he said "Sick. But now my eyes hurt."

*sigh* I know he would have felt differently if only he had seen the commercial.

3 comments:

  1. That totally made me laugh. Yes, the placebo effects of commercials. But, to be honest, I've used Vicks since my mom gave it to me as a child, and I still think it works - to some degree, and in the right circumstances. It does eliminate some cold symptoms, or at least makes it better, but like all colds, there's no magic cure, and only time will get rid of it completely. Hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I loved this. I totally remember that commercial, it seriously does make it look like it instantly cures you. Now I am tempted to try it out. If you smell anything minty in class you'll know that I am testing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good memory. 5 yr. old commercial.. wow. I like Vicks Vapor Rub- even the generic brands. It has helped me throughout my life. Usually when I'm having a hard time breathing or other cold problems. I like the hot/cold feeling. I put on high chest, and upper back (it has helped me to sleep). put it behind the lower of ear and below my chin (on the neck). Thanks for the reminder of Vicks VR. It definitely works. I've used it on my infants when they had trouble breathing b/c of congestion and mucus. Of course, my husband doesn't like that sticky part. Vicks VR may not work on everything but I hope your husband gets better!

    ReplyDelete