Thursday, May 27, 2010

Some Reservations


My husband and I watched "No Reservations" this week. It's a decent movie (not incredible, but there are some funny parts). And it has Catherine Zeta Jones in it which is a plus because I really like her. There was definitely some sexual content, though.


No Reservations definitely sent the strongest message. This movie essentially portrayed sex as being normative and even positive for the main characters (who didn’t know each other very well). It depicted sex as something you just do when you like someone else; no extra thought needed. In fact, Catherine Zeta Jones’ character starts to protest and he tells her to “not think.” Nice, huh? Even more shocking to me was the fact that didn’t try to hide her relationship from her young niece, Zoe. At one point, when the Catherine and her love interest temporarily break up, Zoe offers her aunt a stuffed animal so she didn’t have to sleep alone (showing that the niece was aware of the relationship). It seemed pretty weird to me. It definitely didn’t portray what I would consider a healthy, romantic relationship or the role that sex plays in that relationship. However, I don’t think it’s at all atypical of the media (and maybe even society) today.

Really, though, are there any chick flicks out there that don't have implied sex anymore? I sure can't think of very many.


2 comments:

  1. I forgot about the stuffed animal part of the movie. That is crazy. Sex is way to normative in media today

    ReplyDelete