Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Makings of an Excellent Book

When I was young, I fell in love with the book Little Women. This book chronicles the adventures and misadventures of four delightful sisters—Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy—coming of age during the mid-29th century. Although the book contains events that are wildly playful and fun, the book also shows that challenges of growing up, falling in love, and coping with loss.

This perfect blend between lighthearted adventures and adult themes is part of what attracted me to the book. The book is extremely accessible (which is ideal for children), but also reaches into deeper, weightier matter that I think the soul really craves. I first read this book in the middle of a fluff reading craze—most of the books were entertaining, but had little eternal truth embedded in them. This book and its open look at difficult issues (comparatively speaking) stood as a sharp, refreshing contrast, and has been on my list of favorites ever since. More specifically, the character development in this book really inspired me to be a better person. I realized that I was much like the superficial, self-centered (but well-intentioned) Amy, but this book really inspired me to be more like the caring, never complaining Beth or even the independent, creative, and hard-working Jo. It also really changed my view on what really matters in a romantic relationship. (I have always been a Mr. Bhaer fan and am sure that he is better for Jo than Laurie ever could have been. So take that Laurie fans.)

One of my favorite books right now is Man’s Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl. This book describes Dr. Frankl’s time as a prisoner in a Nazi concentration camp and the people that he met there. Through his experiences and interactions with all sorts of people in the camp, Frankl was able to come up with a theory about human nature and what makes a life fulfilling.

Man’s Search for Meaning really is an incredible book, and it contains truths that I often find myself thinking about. Specifically, Frankl talks a great deal about creating meaning during suffering. That is, any person can survive any difficult situation if they have meaning for their suffering (e.g., women are able to withstand the excruciating pain of child birth because they know that their suffering has a great purpose—to bring about new life). This concept really rings true to me. I really value the book because it actually makes a difference in the way I think about life. I now have a better perspective on how to handle difficulties that come my way.

Interestingly, it seems that my criteria for an excellent book hasn’t changed much since I was a tween. Although I will admit that I still immerse myself in my loads of media that are merely entertaining or fun, I think that deep down I am really craving something more. Although I often forget that, I am so glad there are books out there are remind me of what my soul really need—insight into eternal truths.

Don’t you think?

1 comment:

  1. I read so much and have many favorites, but you just made me realize: the ones that really stick with me are those that have "deeper meaning," or eternal truths. They make us think about more than just ourselves. I'll have to look for Man's Search for Meaning.

    ReplyDelete